Monday, May 25, 2009

Week One

Planting day went well. I sat on one lettuce plant, otherwise everyone seems to be enjoying being the great outdoors. Onions - all 50 of them - too much work. Cucumber, pumpkin, watermelon to be planted in a separate plot. All conventional wisdom seems to be they will be too big and choke my other plants. I shrank my garden a touch based on the amount of fencing I had (50 ft), now there is a serious lack of room I think.

I did have a few minutes of planters remorse; the commitment of having to water these things daily ... there were a few seconds wishing it was just the herbs on the back porch again. Too late now, and I'm over it.

Met Teresa, this is her 4th year. She said that last year was the worst (not good); she was planning to add fertilizer this year (glad I did too) and maybe pollinate her own plants (no bees last year).... I'll have to look into this. Too bad I can't find a way to move the hive from the condo out to the farms.

Friendly Farm Animal spotting of the day - Black or Blackie ... it's hard to tell which is which when they aren't together. Oreo is hard to see but is hanging out to Black(ie)'s left. Cute. Don't eat my plants dudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment