Monday, May 25, 2009

I love my Grandpa!

I'm lucky he loves me too!

Special Commemorative Edition Post

This post will deviate from the Community Garden Project.


My Grandpa is very handy when it comes to woodworking. He's made me a fun clock and two great picture frames throughout the years. A kitchen trivet and a cutting board (although he'll tell you it's a bread board, and it's made of Corian Countertop scrap not wood) but you get the point. He makes me great stuff!

I decided a few weeks back to look for a new spice rack. I had one from Kohl's but it was pretty chinsy looking and the plastic metal refused to come clean, so now it looked grubby too. I found a few online I liked, but nothing "Just Right". Cue Grandpa.


I sent him my thoughts; maybe too confining a list of wants/likes/dislikes? Either way a couple weeks later, I have the perfect spice rack. Made from an ash tree that grew right in the backyard - Handcrafted by Allen. No trees were injured in the making of this spice rack, trees died of natural causes before use.



Love it. Love him. Thanks Grandpa!

P.S. If you buy tins for your spice rack online, make sure to measure them yourself. The sellers might not be exact and then your Grandpa might build the rack to the wrong spec's ... not good. Don't do that.

P.P.S. Golden Pecan is a nice sunny color, neutral enough to go with any kitchen I might have next. Kudos to Grandpa on the selection. Fiddlehead wood gives it a fun irredesent quality. If you don't know what Fiddlehead wood is, google it or ask your Grandpa.

P.P.P.S. Don't damage your spice rack in any way - retail price: $1,000 i.e. too much work, you won't be getting a second one Steph.

2 comments:

  1. "Love you too Steph", says grandpa as he chuckles emotionally over this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice labels. I'll forward the link so Uncle Mike can see your blog.

    ReplyDelete